Moose Jaw Public Library is proud to have the Avid Knitters Group call it home. This group is so much more than people who gather together to knit. While they do share companionship and a love for knitting, they also share a passion for helping their community. Many local organizations have received donations of knitted items from this group including:
- Salvation Army (Christmas Hampers)
- Samaritan’s Purse Organization Christmas Child (Shoeboxes to Ukraine)
- Syrian Refugees
- Transition House
- Ladies Auxiliary for Dr. F.H. Wigmore Regional Hospital
- Moose Jaw Multicultural Council Women’s Group
- Providence Place
- Friends of the Moose Jaw Public Library
The Avid Knitters are currently working on a project to knit Izzy Dolls which, through Health Partners International Canada, will be included in medical supply kits sent to doctors in many parts of the world.
The Avid Knitters meet every other Tuesday in the South Meeting Room at the Moose Jaw Public Library. All knitters and those who crochet, from beginners to experienced, are welcome. In 2015 they had 246 attendees over the course of the year, and increased that number to 253 in 2016.